Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Penultimate Week of the Year

Last weeks triathlon practice ended up being 14 hours with 13500 yards of swimming, 15 miles of running, and 125 miles of bike. When you look at the totals, it doesn’t seem to be much. But, I’m really feeling it. I’m not sure if it’s the combination or the mix of activities, but I’m having a hard time recovering. I sleep more. I eat more. But, I just feel beat up. On Christmas day, I had to do a 2 hour ride with 12 X 1:30 min climbing intervals. Once the all the presents were open and the kids were lost in Christmas La-La land, I bundled up and went outside with my training buddy, Silvio, and finished my prescribed workout. We went to La Luz road, which is a 3-mile climb that averages 8%. The first 4-5 intervals were hard but didn’t seem to affect me. After the 8th, I was feeling it. By the time I hit 12….I was done. It was a hard workout.

Christmas was good. The kids got some good presents. I picked out an Adidas jacket and pants for Elise and had a friend embroider her swim team logo, Duke City, on the front and her last name on the back. I also got her a bag with the same embroidery. She really liked. It’s funny when she wears the jacket and pants; she looks like a little jock-ette. I picked out an historical NFL book for Ethan. He seemed to be excited about that. Tanya took care of the Grace and Mia’s gifts. Mia’s big present was a Easy Bake Oven. We spent the morning making cakes and cookies. She was really excited about that.

This week seems to be just as hard, if not harder, than last week in terms of training schedule. I am planning on doing the Resolution Ride on Friday, which is a 100 mile ride. This is not part of my training schedule. I’ve done this ride for the past 7 years. It’s done regardless of weather conditions. I can remember the second year I did the ride, the wind was so fierce, we would travel 8 MPH into the headwind and not hear anything but the wind howling and travel 35MPH with the tail wind and hardly any effort. It was an epic day! With the ride down and back to where the Resolution Ride starts, it turns out to be a 120 mile day. It’s a fun way to ring in the New Year. I was a bit disappointed though because Masters was cancelled Friday morning. I wanted to do the double—swim/Resolution Ride.

With the New Year, comes New Year’s Resolutions. I haven’t really spent much time thinking about my resolutions. I guess more of the same…train better, eat better, show up ready for my events. It seems all of my time is already spent working towards a goal. I can hardly imagine doing more or adding a new goal. I just want 2010 to be like 2009. It was an alright year. Looking through my training logs, I put in roughly 730 hours of triathlon practice. I would consider myself blessed if I can manage that training load and keep up with all my other obligations. That’s enough for me.

No comments: