Monday, October 26, 2009

2009 Is Over

It’s official, the 2009 season is over. I’d hoped to end the season with Ironman Austin 70.3 this last weekend but ran out of steam and injured my calf during a half-marathon “training” race. It’s just as well though because I have a really aggressive 2010 planned and need to get myself ready for the future workload and demands. I’ve signed up for IronMan Ut (St. George) in May, IronMan Canada (Penticton, BC) in August. I’m also going to sign up for IMArizon in November. That’s a brutal schedule and I wouldn’t normally attempt something so crazy, but it’s my 40th birthday year…so why not. I’m also secretly training for PF Chang’s Rock N’ Roll marathon this January…I hope my coach is cool with it. It would be really awesome to break the 3:00 marathon…or at least qualify for Boston.

Life is so complicated at our household. Tanya’s school is much more demanding now that she’s into her higher-level science classes. The kids have their respective activities in addition to school, which keeps up hopping. We decided to invest in a Compu-trainer for me so I can be at home in the evenings and still be able to train on my bike. Elise is still busy with school, swimming, and piano. Ethan is also swimming and doing piano. Grace is swimming, playing tennis, and also in piano. Mia’s holding out for dance, but it doesn’t really fit our family’s schedule…and I’m not sure we can afford another event. Hopefully she’ll come around and swim with her siblings.

Elise is swimming for an exclusive year-round swim team. She swims 3-4 times a week for an hour-and-a-half. She averages about 3500 yards per practice. She’s really starting to get fast. We’re thinking she’s found her niche. She’s a natural.

These next few weeks will be a gradual easing back into the training routine. Currently I’m trying to maintain a 10—12 hour training load until mid-November. Mid-November is when I have 24 weeks until my first event. During this time frame, I’ll lay down my base training and build. My goal is to spend less time in the freezing cold (which tend to be junk training miles) and more time putting in quality efforts. The truth is, I have to train smarter, or I won’t finish three full IronMans. Hopefully I’ll be a bit more diligent in the documentation of this next year’s activities.

No comments: