Friday, September 11, 2009

Rest Week

Last week, the last of my 3-week training block, was tough. Late work putting together financial analysis for our board meeting, meant coming home each night after 8:00 PM and using the training and treadmill for punctuated workouts. By Saturday, I was wasted. I got up early and 30 minutes into the swim workout, I knew it wasn’t going to happen. I came home slept until 11:00 am then spent another 5 hours in bed watching the Sopranos and indulging in popsicles. It was a classic case of the spirit being willing but the body wasn’t. Something inside of me anguished to finish my scheduled workouts, and something else knew I needed to rest really badly. Fortunately, it was a three-day weekend (Labor Day Weekend), so I decided to take a mulligan on Saturday and use Sunday and Monday as my weekend. That worked out OK. I ran 15 miles Sunday AM and rode 85 miles to Madrid and back on Monday. That helped me finish the week with 17 hours. I’ll take it.

I’m now indulging in my recovery week, which should amount to no more than 10 hours of training. My workout volume has been short, but I’ve increased the intensity a bit. Sunday, I’m doing the Chips N’ Salsa half marathon. My intention is to run it really easy: 8:300 min/mile pace so I don’t blow myself up for the rest of the week. Last time I ran a 10K all out, it took me nearly 4 days to fully recover. I don’t want to be in that state just before the beginning of my next (and last of 2009) 3 week training block.

Last night I did a really fun track workout. I did 6X1 kilometer intervals running at a <6 min/mile pace with a 4 minute rest between sets. I wasn’t painful like other track workouts I’ve done in the past that are all out. I can’t wait to do this one again.

This is the first week my 11-year-old daughter has been doing year-round swimming. I picked her up from practice and saw that they swam 3400 yards, which included a 800 IM. Holy Cow! That’s a harder workout than I swim at Masters. I couldn’t swim a 200 yard butterfly. All I have to say is she’s going to be a torpedo after a few years of swimming, and I won’t be able to keep up with her. I’m so excited for her! The deal was…if she swims year-round, she gets a mobile phone. She started swimming year-round this week, so her mom and her picked up her phone last night. That phone better be worth it, because swimming 15000+ yards in a given week is crazy for an 11-year old.

No comments: