Monday, June 8, 2009

First Week of Real Training-I've heard that One Before!

Since I gave myself the green light to start training again, I hit the bike fairly hard this week. I ended the week with 180 miles, and some semblance of the form I had a month or so ago. I swam sans kicking. I only swam twice this week for a total of 7800 meters. But my workout Saturday was quality. I warmed up with a 400 then pulled for 2000 meters straight. Then I finished the workout off with 10X100 meters at 1:50. Had I swam Monday and Friday too, I wouldn't have been able to do the workout. I'm thinking about bailing on my Friday Masters workouts to be rested for my longer Saturday brick workouts. And....drum roll please...I ran a total of 10 miles! I did 3 20 minute runs at a really easy pace without any issues. Sunday I decided to take the show outside on the bike trail. It felt so good to run outside I just kept going. I ended up running for 40 minutes at 4.5 miles. I've been a bit sore since. That probably wasn't very smart.

My body is having a tough time adapting to training again. I've been making it a point to train in the heat to get my body acclimated to the sun. I think that takes a little out of you as well. By Sunday eve, I was worn out and ready to sleep.

Saturday morning was the kids' first swim meet. Elise, Ethan and Grace all swam in 3 events. All of them got 1st place ribbons--other placings too but that's OK too. I really didn't want them to swim in meets this year, but Elise wanted to. So, we let them. They were terrified at first, but after thier first event, they were confident for the rest of the meet. Elise did the 25 free and totally smoked the field. Her form was beautiful and she's shaped like a dart. She just cruised to an easy first place. It was very cool. She's only been on the swim team for 2 weeks and she already has good form.

Tanya had her first test of the summer session this week also, which was in biology. This is going to be a tough semester because the time is so compact and she has challenging classes: biology, chemestry and chemstry lab. She'll have a major test each week. I had to make the dinners this week...nothing exotic though. The kids favor hot dogs, hamburgers, corn dogs and pasta over anything with real substance. I don't mind. One night I did make tuna steaks, jasmine rice, and brocoli. The tuna steaks were pre-marinated by Mr. Trader Joe, so I just had to make sure I didn't burn them. Easy breezy...right?

The kids' summer is packed with events. They have early morning swim team, Day camp during the day, optional evening swim team, and piano on Thursdays. Ethan had cub scout camp last week. He also goes to a sports camp twice a week his basketball coach is putting on. They come home each day, eat dinner and make their lunch for the next day and pass out. Tomorrow their day camp is going to watch the local minor league baseball team: the Isotopes. I'm very excited about all the fun opportunities they'll have this summer. I really want them to experience life and be exposed to many things--hopefully that doesn't include camping though because I hate sleeping outside on the ground. Hopefully they don't get burned out.

No comments: