Monday, June 29, 2009

Buffalo Springs

It's the day after Buffalo Springs IronMan 70.3, and I'm back at work. I'm not nearly as sore as previous events, in fact I'm walking around fine...just a bit sore. My time was 14 minutes slower than previous personal best times. My swim improved, which was huge considering how choppy the water was. The weather was rainy and windy. My T1 time went from 5:30 to 1:45. My bike was 3:40, 5 minutes slower than my best, which is also awesome considering how windy and rainy the conditions were. The last 20 miles I was rained on and was drenched. My T2 was 1 minute slower than the past because I took a brief potty break. My run was slow. I'm not disappointed though with the results...if you would have asked me 2 months ago, I didn't even think I would be able to do this race due to injuries. So, results wise, it was respectable. Mentally this was a really tough race. Perhaps I'm just tired from all of my training this year or something, but this race was more difficult than my full distance IranMan. It was such a mental struggle the whole time. I fought the urge to let up all the way until the last mile of the run, then I couldn't anymore. I walk most of the last mile. My legs were tired, my feet hurt from the pounding in wet shoes. The only thing that got me running again was hearing the announcer and crowd up the road...I didn't want to finish softly by walking, so I jogged in the last half-mile.

To be honest, I don't think I'll do Buffalo Springs again or at least in a long long time. I got really lucky that it rained rather than deal with the Lubbock heat during the race. Friday and Saturday were blistering, and it frankly scared me that I'd have to push myself in such temp extremes. I don't want to tempt fate and return when Lubbock is back to the norm: hot and humid. Additionally, I don't think the event was organized nearly as well as what it cost to enter. Transition set up wasn't until the morning of, parking was sparse and traffic was extreme. I left earlier than I have for previous events, yet just barely got to the beach in time for my wave start. Others missed their waves. It was a bit disappointing in that sense.

Afterwards, we went back to the hotel, and took a warm bath and relaxed my muscles. That refreshed me enough to be able to drive home.

I'm in a very weird spot right now. I'm tired and an emotional wreck. I can't think about my next event or even my next training session. As soon as I got home, I unpacked the car and went to bed. I slept nearly 12 hours. I think that might have helped, but I still want to put this weekend behind me. I'm not yet sure what that means.

On the drive home, I told my wife I feel like I'm a donkey racing with horses. I may be a fast donkey, but I'm not a horse...and never will be. I'm stubborn like a donkey too! I want to be as fast as the fast horses. I train tirelessly like a donkey pulls a cart. But, a donkey can't really be fast like a horse. I'm also so stubborn. I make up my mind and there's no undoing it. Right now I have my mind made up that I'm a horse; I train like I'm a horse. Yet, perhaps I'd be much happier accepting I'm a donkey. A donkey plods along at its own pace, which it can maintain for a long distance. A donkey can carry large loads. But a donkey doesn't like to do things it doesn't want to. I feel this way not only with my racing but with my personal life (i.e. family, religion, work).

No comments: