Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Watching the World Go By

It’s at these times, when I’m sidelined from the events I love, that I really realize how much training means to me. I feel lost and out of sorts. You’d think I’d be soaking up the free time and relaxing in a hammock in the shade fully absorbed in a book. You’d think. But, I’m not. I’m irritable; I’m grumpy; and I’m pensive. I have this nagging feeling that all I’ve trained for these last months is slowly slipping away. I feel like an addict wanting one more fix of a 5 hour ride…just to let me know I still have it in me. Fitness is so fleeting—especially at the higher end of your capabilities. And, sitting around doing nothing can’t be good…right? I don’t know. This trial and error training approach is so tough on the psyche. I’ve always been of the mindset of doing too much is better than doing too little, and that doesn’t seem to work in triathlon training. It just gets you injured.

I’ve sent out a few emails to potential coaches. I’ve received one response so far saying he only coaches 10 athletes at a given time and he’s currently full but will add me to the waiting list. I sent a request to the number one ranked coach in the nation who coaches the best ironman triathletes in the world. It was a long shot. He charges way more than I can afford, so I pleaded with him to take me in as a charity case at a great discounted monthly charge. I haven’t received a response yet. I figure it’s worth trying at least. I’ll send a few more requests for other coaches. I think, generally, when you approach a potential coach, and pay him or her the full amount they ask, there wouldn’t be any hesitation. Sure…let’s get started. But, I can’t afford what they’re asking, so I’m telling them what I can afford, which is still significant for me, but less than what they’re asking. I suspect this is why I’ve been wait-listed on my first response so far. I think coaches would be willing to take a haircut on fees for someone if they knew there were great upside results potential, and I think I have that quality. But, it’s still too early to tell. I don’t have much in the way of results. So, I’m an unknown quantity. From they’re perspective, I could be a bag of hot wind that’ll blow out quickly. I know that’s not the case, but I’ll have to convince them.

I’ll keep you posted on the coach selection process.

No comments: