Monday, May 18, 2009

Update

I kind of hit rock bottom this last week with exhaustion and a nagging injury. I’ve tried to push through this one too long and think I need to rest up, cease running and cycling (especially painful) activities for a brief spell, and try to get better. Saturday, the masters team did a 5X1000 meter practice. I did my first three at about 17 minutes each. The next one was 18:30 and the final was >20 minutes. I didn’t realize how much the swim took out of me. I came home, ate breakfast, lounged with literally no motivation, and finally went out on the bike about 9:30AM. After about 5 minutes of riding, I became acutely aware I didn’t have the energy to ride another 4 hours. I turned around and came home. I’ve been training consistently since December at an average of 15-20 hours a week. In that time frame, I’ve been burning the candle at both ends…and it’s finally caught up to me. Our bodies are great at telling us when enough is enough. As an athlete, you learn to ignore the pain and the fatigue because continuing on will make you stronger. This is true with proper rest and recovery. But, without that recovery, you just dig yourself into a hole. I’m in that hole regardless of whether I want to acknowledge it or not. I’ve put off that knowledge hoping for a miracle of sorts. Saturday brought that knowledge home to me. I need rest.

I plan on taking off running and cycling for a couple of weeks…it kills me to do so, but I really don’t have any choice. I’ll continue to swim because it’s non-impact and you lose form quickly. I’ll do some strength training activities in the interim.

One other resolution: I NEED A COACH! I’ve been killing myself training every waking moment available. I need someone to tell me to back off (or pick it up). I’m not objective and often find myself with a “More is Better” approach to training. I need someone who can harvest my potential yet keep me fit/healthy enough to keep going year round. I hate trying to get a coach because they can be expensive. They can cost as much as $500 a month—that’s a car payment for goodness sake. But, something’s got to change or I’ll self-destruct.

Finally, I took the wife to the Tamaya resort Saturday night/Sunday day for a belated Mother’s Day gift without the kids. It was a great get away. I’m amazed at how quickly I get used to a quiet/calm atmosphere. We spent the night at one of the best restaurants I’ve been to in New Mexico, and we spent the day by the pool in the sun lounging. It was truly great.

No comments: