Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Run Assessment: BAD!

I got up early and ran for 30 minutes in the morning before work. About a minute into it, my hip flexor started to hurt again. Before I could run without pain but felt a pain for about 2-3 hours after running. Now, I feel pain while I run and after. Basically, the results of the assessment were: Fail! I was very discouraged. I put off taking Ibuprofen as long as possible but the pain was pretty intense. When I got to work, I scheduled an appointment with the ortho just to rule out the worst possible scenario: femoral kneck stress fracture. Though it’s a low probability; the risk is high with runners and I had some symptoms. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

The ortho x-rayed my hip and moved my leg in awkward positions and assessed there wasn’t a stress fracture. She referred me to a PT. I pleaded for a cortisone shot or steroids that would allow me pick up my running where I left off and prevent any future injuries--anything to carry me forward. No such luck.

As I take on the quest for Kona…I’m constantly reminded this may, indeed, be a longer road than I initially hoped. It seems I take 2 steps forward and one step back. I’ve been really frustrated and even considered quitting. I have less than 2 months before my first event and that’s now at risk. One of my goals for this year is to realize my running potential. How can I do so if I’m always on the mend for some running injury?

I scheduled my PT appointment and rode my TT bike after work. I hadn’t ridden for a week and I was rested. I joined a friend and we did a TT effort to the east side of the mountain. It must have been all the frustration from not being able to run, the rest, or work related stress, but I put down an incredible time. I dropped my riding partner on the way out and put some good time into him at the finish. I hit a HR of 185 BPM. It was just what I needed. I felt no pain when I rode.

It looks like the next month or so will be swim/bike/rehab focused. It’s not cool but it’s better than a dull stick in the eye.

No comments: