Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday's Redemption

Still upset about my swimming workout, I decided to make Saturday a high-quality mega brick workout.

The alarm went off at 6:15AM, I was already up and ready to swim. I got to the pool and the lanes were switched from yards to meters. There were two workouts posted on the board: mid-distance and 5K, you pick. You guessed it, I picked the 5K. The sets were 800 meters pull/800 meters descending by 100. The next was 2 sets of 600 with the same instructions and continued with a double set of 400s and 200s. The final set was 10X100 meters.

I jumped in and tried to get as much of the workout done in the 1:15 allotted. When the time was up, I'd finished 4000 meters. I wasn't too disappointed about not getting the last 10X100s in because my arms were already tired.

I came home, ate my breakfast and changed into my riding clothes. I'd spent last night getting everything ready for a smoothe transition. This included updated the music on the Ipod. Last night, I downloaded the complete Prodigy library. So, that's what kind of workout I was planning. The weather was miserable:

Current conditions as of 1:53 pm MDT

Partly Cloudy/Windy
Feels Like:50°
Barometer:29.75 in and falling
Humidity:21%
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:11°
Wind:WSW 25 mph
Sunrise:6:48 am
Sunset:7:29 pm
50°High: 47° Low: 23°

I copied these conditions from Yahoo Weather. The winds were fierce. I had a side wind the entire ride. There were a few times I felt like I was riding with my bike at a 45 degree angle just to stay upright. Wind is great for building mental toughness, and today was no exception. I covered 75 miles in 4:15.

As soon as I got home, I quickly changed into running clothes and fired up the treadmill. I ran for 20 minutes as fast as I could. I started at 8 MPH and pushed it up 10 MPH--that's as fast as my treadmill goes. The running legs felt really nice!

Now I'm doing what I can to recover for tomorrow's workout--the final workout of the week/month and recovery week starts.

No comments: