Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Retro

I'm not sure why but these last few months I've really been digging Echo & The Bunnymen. I have been accused of listening too much to 80s music; I can't help it! 80's music is what I listened to in high school. No when I say 80's music, I don't mean Hair Bands (i.e. Scorpions, Motley Crue, Ratt, Iron Maiden, or Metallica) or early rap (i.e. RUN DMC, NWA, Young MC, Eric B. & Rakim, BDP or Public Enemy), although I've spent my fair share of time listenings to these genres. When I say 80's music, I mean the early roots of alternative music. I'm talking Echo & The Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, The Fixx, The Clash, Duran Duran (Arcadia), The Descendants, The English Beat, etc. The only reason I can figure I like this music is it was what I listened to as a young adolescent when I first felt the exciting strains of independence. This was my music when I drove for the first time, had my first girlfriend, broke up with my first girlfriend, got dumped, got suspended from school, got in fist fights, worried about image/appearance, tried out for the swim team, got cut from the swim team, served in-house detention, served Saturday tardy school, spent the night at friends, stayed up way too late doing things my parents ought not know about, and, ultimately, learned what it was to be an adult.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a relic. I don't spend my weekends watching The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and everything Molly Ringwald. But the elements of this time frame have a special place in my heart. Just like Gomer Pyle, The Lone Ranger, and The Andy Griffeth show does for my parents--puke!

4 comments:

MomD said...

Just for clarification purposes, your mother despises Gomer Pyle, Andy Griffith and the Lone Ranger, so don't dump me in that category. I liked "Leave it Beaver," "Donna Reid," and "The Little Rascals."

The Hard Road To Kona said...

You were also fond of Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard and Twiggy), Knight Rider (V1--The Hassellhoff Years), MacGyver, V (the mini-series), and Battlestar Gallactica (V1 and V2). How do I know? You have the complete series video taped and catalogued in the basement. This is what I like to call Apocolyptic Enertainment. When the lights go out, fire up the generator and watch KIT and Michael save the world!

JAutry's said...

Wow Justin....lol....those are all dad's stuff. You certainly know what he likes and mom and suffered through. Good thing mom was usually to busy doing something else to have to suffer through those shows too much...just us kids.

MomD said...

Whatever!