Monday, March 23, 2009

March Madness

I finished the week with 17.5 hours of triathlon practice. My running is starting to come around with my first foothills long run, which was only 50 minutes (estimated to grow by 5/10 minutes per week). I ran with my sister-in-law. She's quite the talker. She's the kind of person that has a really long, drawn-out explantion for everything. Well, during the run, she talked the whole time. I must not have ran hard enough. We'd be running, and shes talking away (she ran behind me) and I would ask her what her heart rate was. She'd shout up to me, "170!" Then she'd pick up where she left off. What's the magic HR number to get her to stop talking?

At any rate, I threw in a speed run on Sunday. So now I'm finally covering all my running basis. Now is the ever important quest to find my optimal weekly running mileage. I'll have to play around with my times until I find it.

Saturday I did a 4.5 hour TT ride that included 5X20 minute LT level efforts giving myself 10 minutes of recovery between. During the interval, I'd switch between the big and small chain ring every 5 minutes to mix up the cadence. By the time I finished the last interval, I was exhausted and that left me at the foot of Tramway. I crawled up Tramway but kept myself in the TT position during the climb.

Thursday morning, I took 5 minutes and filled out the NCAA brackets online. I have some cousins that are really into sports (e.g. Fantasy football, NBA, NFL...yatta yatta). They started an online bracket pool and asked me to join. So, I spent a few minutes doing it. Turns out, I'm killing the bracket. I'm winning the group because I was nearly at 100% after the first 2 days. I predicted all but 1 of the sweet 16 teams. Well my cousins are greatly dismayed. They'd be really dissappointed if they knew I hadn't watched a single college basketball game all year. I couldn't tell you what teams are good and what teams are not. I just picked teams based prior year's perfomance--back whey I was in college and I cared about college hoops. It's been a fun distraction.

The weather this weekend was perfect. It was in the 70s. I rode both on Saturday and Sunday in shorts and a short sleve jersey. I hope it stays like this forever.

I'm now 95% sure I'm going to do St. George full IronMan in 2010 rather than CDA. It makes more sense econimically and logistically. I just have to plunk down the dough, which it quite expensive.

No comments: