Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Date With Destiny
Last night at midnight, I pulled the trigger. On May 1st, 2010, I will be in Santo Jorge, Utah, trying to get my golden ticket to Kona.
This decision wasn't made lightly. As many of you may know, I'm superstitios and don't like to pay for events early--especially more than a year in advance and at such a high cost: $575. But, this is the price of admission to chase a dream. Kona will never happen unless I start at point A.
Still, the decision to take on such a task is sobering. The time commitment is tremendous. The sacrifice on my part as well as my family's is tremendous. I put off pulling the trigger until mid-night when it was finally time to go to bed.
Some of the thoughts that weighed heavily on my mind were the following: our dryer is on the fritz right now and we'd finally paid off our credit card and had the money to buy the dryer (not using the credit card); with the entrance fee, we'll have to wait another month to buy a dryer. Because St. George takes place on May 1st, a majority of my training will take place in the winter and spring. That's not such a problem for swimming or running, but that means long rides bundled up in winter garb by myself freezing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about this opportunity. But, I don't take the challenge lightly and I know there will be a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. My training will start specifically for St. George the first day of November. Until then, I'll focus on half distance Ironmans.