Saturday, February 28, 2009

Way Too Deep

Today I went too deep in my training. I've never really hit a wall like I did. Last night I finally went to bed at midnight. I woke up at 6AM and headed to the pool. The workout was long (4000 yards) with lots of sprinting. Afterwards I hurried home to join the team for a ride put on by our sponsors. I had 30 minutes to eat and get dressed and get out the door. I crammed a cream cheese/almond butter bagel and a Naked Juice puree down and hurried off to the ride. An hour later we were at the Embassy Suite meeting Saul Raisin, Mike Creed, and the riders of the Johan Bruyneel Development Team for a big group ride. The ride started out tame enough with upwards of 50-60 riders taking up the asphault thoroghfares of Albuquerque. We headed north. Once we got outside Albuquerque, the freidly parade ended and the pace picked up. Soon we were in Algodones. The pace then picked up even more and riders started dropping off. We then headed uphill to Placitas. The pace stayed hard and fast. My legs started to feel soft. I slowly drifted off the back. I began to feel just how tired my swim made me. I continued on knowing the group would double back once they reached the top giving me the opportunity to catch back on.

The group finally did come and I caught on. We hurried down hill and headed back to Albuquerque. The pace was now fairly brisk, and I was starting to hit The wall. I'd been eating and drinking but this was a bit different. I was just empty. We turned uphill again making our way up Tramway. This is where I finally blew up. By this point, I'd been riding for 4:45 and 75 miles. I was 10 miles and more than 1000 feet of elevation gain from home. I let the group go and put it in the smallest gear I had and just took my time getting home. All I wanted to do was go home, eat, take a shower, and go to bed.

The whole way home I kept trying to figure out why I was so flat...so empty. I hardly ate 500 calories for breakfast. I only got 6 hours of sleep following a night that I couldn't sleep because of work related stress. I killed myself swimming. I'm trying too hard to keep up with riders with a completely different focus/skill set. I'm sure all of these factors contribute to me crumbling.

I finally got home, had an Odwalla Protien shake, which marginally tasted good--that's bad when you're desperately hungry. I drank nearly a half gallon of water, then I took a nice warm shower.

After the shower I met the family for my son's end of season basketball party. I crammed down a bunch of Little Ceaser's Pizza and cake (no comment). And now, I'm at home with the kids (and 4 of their friends), cleaning and washing and folding laundry while my wife goes grocery shopping for the week. This is pretty much our Saturday routine.

No comments: