Thursday, February 26, 2009

It Shouldn't Be This Warm

Yesterday on my bike ride home from work, it was nearly 70 degrees outside. It was the first time I rode with just shorts and a jersey. I didn't have to suit up with shoe covers, leg warmers, arm warmers, jacket, hat, or gloves. It was great. It was also the first time my legs got to see the sun in 2009. Gosh are they white!

Oddly, it's still February and, based on Weather.Com, the average temparature for February is 55 degrees. It's unseasonably warm now, and the forecast call for more of the same for the next week.

Now many may be suprised at Albuquerque's cooler average historical temps because they think were part of the Southwest (i.e. Phoenix, Tucson, or San Diego). But, we're at 5,700 feet above sea level. We're as high up as Denver. So why is it so warm right now. I don't know, but I'll take it. I also know warmer winters mean hot and dry summers. At any rate, I can't complain about the warmer temps. It's great to be able to train year round at altitude.

1 comment:

JD said...

Yeah, I'd PAY to be able to run outside. I'm in a cold snowy location WAY up north. Sometimes I brave it for a run, but the bike has been many a long hour in the garage. Sooo ready for spring. Great to read your blog.