Monday, February 9, 2009

Final Week of Block 1

This week didn't go as planned. I worked three nights until 8PM and worked Saturday. Needless to say, I was well under my targeted training hours. I ended the week with 16.5 hours. The good news is I broke into the double digits for running miles. The running is starting to progress.

It's now recovery week and I really fired up about it. I've been missing spending good time with the kids. Last night I took the kids swimming. We had our own family swim practice. I worked with the kids to teach them freestyle. Elise has great potential with swimming. Afterwards I made the family hamburgers. I taught Ethan how to cook burgers; when he gets older, I'll teach him how to cook brauts. I told him when he gets older, he'll need to know how to use a grill when I come over.

I went on a date with my wife on Saturday night and saw Clint Eastwood's Grand Torino. It was good but the end didn't live up to the Eastwood standard. All in all, the movie was very funny and riddled with enthnic slurs that the older generation seem to be fond of using.

Sunday morning I rode out to San Felipe alone on my Tri bike. The weather was nice (55 degrees) with a slight tailwind. When I got to San Felipe, I turned around and the wind shifted. I had another slight tailwind. Then, when I got to Bernilillo, a huge storm rolled in. I rode into an extremely gusty headwind all the way back to Albuquerque. My average speed, while riding into the storm, was 11 mph. I started to rain/hail about 100 yards before I got home. Weather in New Mexico can be really skitish at times. We're quickly approaching windy season. It seems from March-Early May, it's really windy here. You get used to it, but spending an hour or so fighting a gusty wind will really take it out of you both physically and mentally.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

We saw Grand Torino over the weekend too. I thought the atonement allusions were too obvious, but the character development was great.

Could you ask Tanya to call me? I lost her number. Thanks!