Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Time To Start Training Again

Well now that my preparation period is over and I can start really training again, I've started to beef up my bike miles. I commuted on Monday right after swim practice and again today. That makes for a long day before 8AM. I rode the trainer last night for an hour working on speed drills. These last couple of weeks have been hectic and is one of our traditionally busier times. We worked Saturday and Monday, which was a company holiday (MLK day). It's really lame working when no one else is in the office. Oh well, I'm comping that day times two for a couple of training days. But, it looks like things should be ramping down fairly quickly, so I can get off at a reasonable hour and not have to work weekends. The one challenge I have noticed over the years is time at work is a reflection of your boss' attitude. If your boss is ambitious and wants to work long hours, that, generally, is his/her expectation of you. It get's really challenging when your boss doesn't have a life outside of work (i.e. no kids, hobbies, spouse/love interest). That, more or less, is my current situation. That was the situation with my previous supervisor. What really strikes my odd is when your supervisor can't accept that you'd rather be doing something else than working. Oh well, such is the life of the weekend warrior!
I went to the Physical Therapist, who shall henceforth be known as PT. He inspected my knees, my posture, my back, my gait, and my flexibility. His preliminary diagnosis was my injury didn't effect the major knee ligaments (MCL, ACL) but was rather a muscle tear. He said I'm structurally pretty messed up. I'm very inflexible and rigid and riding a bike has messed up my posture. Because I'm so bow legged my patella doesn't track vertically up and down but rather at an angle, which creates a lot of stress on the inside of the knee. He said there probably isn't much that can be done about my structure, but we can work on my flexibility and get me into some orthodics and do some specific strength building exercises. He said I need to build my running over a much longer period of time.

He seems to know what he's talking about. What he says makes sense. I have a follow up appointment. I'll keep you posted on how it progresses.

No comments: