Monday, January 12, 2009

Getting On

This last week really kicked my butt. I can't tell if it's all the swimming or getting up at 5:00 AM to swim, but it's really wiping me out. I ended the week with 16 hours. 4.5 of those were swimming with 15,000 yards. 7.5 hours were on the bike and the rest were core workout stuff and rehabbing my leg to run. Today my leg feels really good. I'm going to give it a go at lunch on the treadmill. Fingers crossed!
This Saturday I'm entering a swim competition. It's a national contest in which you see how far you can swim in 1 hour. Someone has to record my laps and the time splits. During my IronMan I swam the 2.4 miles in 1:07. That's 4200 yards. That will be my goal; swim 4200 yards in 1 hour. This will be a 7 minute nominal time pick up, and that doesn't factor in the wetsuit advantage I had during the IronMan.

Somewhat off topic. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to take over the family finances. Strangely, my wife has done it all 15 years we've been married. I'm a CPA and she's an elemantary ed teacher (now a student again), yet she's always done the family books. The transition has been a difficult one. It's been stressful for the wife to let go, and stressful for me to get her to sit down and get me up to speed. We're not 100% there but getting there. Part of the hard part is being the ball buster when it comes down to staying on budget. I'm currently the ball buster when it comes to making the kids clean their rooms. The kids think I'm mean because of that. Now, with respect to being the budget ball buster, I'm afraid my wife will think I'm mean.

Another of my New Year's Resolutions is to eat more fruits and vegetables. So far it's been heavy fruit and less vegetables. I've been eating lots of apples, blue berries, blackberries, and rasberries. Sadly I'm allergic to bananas and avacadoes. I figure now that I'm getting on in age, I should eat more healthy. I've always struggled with eating fruits and veggies. I need to turn the corner on that. I can't be healthy; I can't be as fast as I possibly can be without taking in the best foods. Man cannot live on Coke and chocolate alone!

No comments: