Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Firing It Back Up

Last week was the first week of my training program. It was a bit like jumping into a frozen lake. It was a shock! After everything was said and done, I logged 24 hours. 285 miles in the bike; 10,000 yards of swimming (low because coach had surgery and canceled one of the workouts); and I ran ~6 miles. I also did a fair amount of core work. Saturday, I started off with a swim--I swam horribly because all of the accumulated training started to take it's toll on me. I couldn't get into a rythym. I just did what I could, which wasn't much. Afterwards, I crammed some food down and joined the team for a bike ride. It was cold and I was bundled up like a snow man. We rode for nearly 5 hours at a fairly slow pace. The final part of the ride was the dreaded ascent of Tramway. Tramway is nearly 5 miles and rises more than 1,000 feet at an average gradient of 3-4%. By no means is it a killer, but after a long ride and the sun is finally out, it's tough. I felt fine after the ride and ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I got some food, took a shower and laid down for a brief nap. When I awoke, my wife told me I was grunting and growning in my sleep. At first she thought I was kidding but that was really how I was sleeping. I must have been trashed. I woke up in a post nap stupor, and went on with the day. The next morning, the ride started at 7AM. I started with 2 other guys, one of which is peaking for Valley of the Sun Road race, which is in February. It was cold and it was windy. The pace was fairly brisk. I spent 95% of the time in the draft just trying to make it through the ride. Again, the final part of the ride was the dreaded ascension of Tramway. This time was a different story; I was a slug in the salt flats. When it was over, we'd gone nearly 85 miles in 5 hours.

As of late, recovery is really starting to be important. Before, I'd finish a ride, put the bike up, and go on my merry way. Now, I have a routine that I follow to maximize my ability to recover. I guess I'm getting old now. I don't like starting a workout feeling like I've already been whalloped; you don't seem to get as much out of it that way. So, recovery is the key.

This morning I went to the PT and he hurt me. First off, he shows me some fairly easy workouts--except one that isolated my knee injury. Then the painful part was having him massage the injury. Oh my gosh! Based on the technique he used, it might have been just as effective with a butcher's knife. All I have to say is THIS BETTER WORK!

I feel like my swimming game is in check...my bike game is in check. I just want to run like I was able to 6 months ago. At least I'm slowly starting to run again. The PT observed my running stride and said there was nothing too crazy other than a need for orthodics. I'm just too impatient. Can I just stick the knee in a microwave and instantly make it better?

On the family front, the kids are doing well. I've been working with Ethan more on his homework. He's been having lots of problems in that department lately. He tells us he's already done it and we find out he hasn't been turning it in. So, now I have to sit down with him every night and make him show me everything and correct it before he goes to bed. Otherwise, he's doing very well at basketball. Grace had her birthday last week. We're going to combine Grace and Ethan's birthday party and have a blow out. Tanya's going to rent a blow up jumper. The kids are pumped. I hope it's not too cold. Tanya's busy with work, working out and school.

No comments: