Monday, October 13, 2008

First Week of Last Training Block

This week was hectic with work, training, and family activities. My wife got the results back from her first statistics test and got a 97%--the highest grade in the class. I'm hoping she'll do better next time! Seriously though, Tanya and I were the people you hated to have in your class because we loved to screw up the curve. There's nothing better than students in your class asking if the test is going to be graded with a curve, and your teacher responds by saying, "I was planning on it but someone got 100%!" Deep down inside I'd laugh because I was the nerd that got the 100%. Ha ha--you better bring your A game to the next test!

The weather's been messing with me in terms of preparing for Arizona. It's starting to dip--not that this is any different than prior years. But, I was hoping the heat would hold on a little longer so I don't acclimate to cooler temps and melt in Phoenix on the big day. Saturday, it was really windy and cool. I like the wind because riding in it makes you stronger--MASOCHIST! I rode 95 miles that started out with a brisk tailwind out to San Felipe reservation. My average speed was 30 MPH. I knew I was running up the credit card on this one, and paying it back would be long and tedious. Sure enough, I turned around right into a headwind that made my average progress near standstill. I had sand blown in my face the whole way. Someone commented that I didn't put my "foundation" on evenly. Slowly but surely, I made my way back to Albuquerque, hit the river trail and continued south past the city. I came back to Tramway via the Southern route and caught the tailwind back on Tramway. I pleasantly surprised how fresh I felt. I drank 6 water bottles and consumed roughly 1000 calories while riding. I was hauling on the way back on Tramway and ran into my brother and sister-in-law. They pulled over and were laughing because before they knew it was me, the commented on "what idiot would be out on the bike right now!?" Sure enough, it was me. I finished up with a loop to the County Line and back. After the ride, I through on my running clothes and fired up the treadmill for my tempo run. I ran 9.5 miles in 70 minutes. I keep upping the speed and time to adapt to the transition. The first 15 minutes were really painful and I kept rationalizing cutting my run back a bit. I, ultimately, stuck with the plan and finished. Ouch!

And the end of my run, my wife told me I'd been working out all day. She asked me how that made me feel. The only word that came to mind was "empowering". It's kind of like screwing up the curve in a test...it's cool to know you're doing something not many other people would be able too. I don't mean this in a conceited way, but it's cool to tell people what you did with your weekend and people freak out. "You did what!" "You're crazy"

Saturday was the Ironman World Championships in Kona. I read the reports and saw many pictures. I really want to be there next year. I know it's a tall order both to qualify and to afford Kona. I mean I read a story about some guy who won an lottery slot (non-qualifying drawing) to Kona, paid $2,300 for a condo just for the week and a bunch of other money for airline tickets and what not. A week before he was supposed to fly out, he went down on his bike, and hurt himself. That was it. His once-in-a-lifetime lottery slot was gone along with his condo fees. That's alot of money to rustle up, especially if you got a big family. Oh well; I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.

The times the pros finished in were super-human. The winning pro men finished his marathon in 2:45 and the women pro in 2:58--that's after swimming and biking. I'm guessing they were using the "force" to finish with these times, and they were Jedi's because, otherwise, the results are unbelievable.

My training this week consisted of 17 hours. My bike was really soft with only 6.5 hours and 122 miles. I swam 5 hours for 14,000 yards, and ran 5.5 hours for 38 miles. This week coming up will be heavily weighted towards cycling because I'm going to Silver City for a mini cycling camp. I did this last year and it was a blast. The first day was 90+ miles with 15,000 feet of elevation gain. The second was about the same. I'll probably suffer with all the climbing but it'll be a good workout.

No comments: