Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rest Days Are Good

These last couple of days have been good. Long nights of sleep, not having to pack multiple workout bags, vegging out in front of the TV. It's great. The legs are starting to feel good again. I like to use the recovery week to rejuvenate both my body and my mind. I like to take enough of a break that I get excited about training again for another block.

I've been making some upgrades to my bikes. I'm switching from SRAM to Shimano. Sorry; I'm not a big fan of SRAM. I want reliable shifting and maintenance free--that definitely wasn't the case with my Force group. I had the group for a year and had to get the rear derailleur adjusted every other month. Every time I tried to do it myself, I'd just make it worst. The bike shop would scratch their heads wondering if I bent the rear derailleur hanger, but that wasn't the case. So, after a year of dealing with the rear derailleur issues, I'm throwing up my hands and going with Shimano. I'm also going to increase the crank arm length on my Tri/TT bike to 2.5mm bigger than my road bike crank arm length. I've resisted making this change but after many conversations with TT-focused individuals, the difference in anatomical positions warrants longer crank arms. I just want to be as fast as possible on the bike. If a simple crank arm change can accomplish this--that's low hanging fruit.

People keep asking me what I'm going to do next year. Am I going to continue focusing on the tri thing or get back to bike racing exclusively? That's a tough question. My wife thinks it's cool to tell her friends her husband does Ironmans. I do miss being fit on the bike though; one of my training partners told me I ride like a triathlete (fast on the flats/slow on the climbs). I guess alot has to do with how I do at IMAZ. If I qualify for Kona (just for conversation purposes because I don't want to pressure myself), I'll spend the next year focusing on putting on a good showing for Kona. Otherwise, I don't know yet. Honestly, the tri thing is so expensive. $500 for an Ironman and $250 for a half--that's before travel, food, and hotel. Racing locally is much more cost effective. Sadly, I think I can do well with the Ironman thing--I seem to excel with ultra-endurance events. But, many of the people I train with are roadies who have no intention of running or swimming. It gets tiresome training by myself all the time. So, I don't know what I'm going to do next year. We'll see.

No comments: