Thursday, September 18, 2008

Break Through Workouts

I didn't want to get up early this morning, so I decided to stack my swim and run workouts after work instead. Getting up early really takes it out of me, so if I can avoid it, I will.

I was able to get out of work right at 5:00; now that I'm moving into another department, I'm getting the cold shoulder. Just as well. I was in the pool by 5:30. I started up with a quick 250 kick to warm up. Then I figured I'd just go as long as I could. I swam 3,000 yards straight! That's 120 lengths of the pool and nearly the entire IronMan distance swim. I had to stop because I started getting dizzy from the flip turns and was also taking on too much water. I warmed down with an easy 1000 yards. I'm happy because this is a break through workout. From an endurance perspective, I felt like I could have swam longer and my pace was reasonably fast and consistent. I took me an hour to do the workout; I'd be happy if I could do the same speed during the actual Ironman event.

After the swim workout, the family went to dinner at Dions for pizza and sandwiches. We took the kids home got them settled with homework and put them to bed. Then I started my long run. I ran for 1:20 at an easy pace. I ran 9 miles. I'm still building up the distance for my long runs; this is only my second long run. I'm hopeful I'll get to 20 miles before the big event.

After my run, I did a bit of stretching and other recover precautions. I'm using icy-hot for the legs and compression sock while I sleep. I'm also using the foam roller. It's too close to the event to jeopardize an injury.

No comments: