Friday, August 1, 2008

Well, I've been running, swimming, and cycling in a more regular pattern now. I'm so glad to be able to run pain free. I've run three times so far this week at 20 minutes each. Nothing too demanding, just enough to let my body adapt to running again. It had been so long since running, I was sore after the first couple of times. I plan on running 5 times this week.

Well after this forced rest period, I need to plan my final assault on Ironman Arizona. I figure after moving next weekend and fully recovering, I'll be left with 100 days to prepare for the final assault. 100 days isn't very long considering I've lost a bit of fitness while being sick and I haven't been running for at least a month.

Sometimes, in these situations it helps start at ground zero--assume you're starting over again. With the fitness base I've built over the last year, getting my aerobic system to where it was should take roughly a month. After that, I can work on strength and tempo efforts and slowly build from there for the remaining period. Yes, getting sick can really set you back. But, sometimes that's how your body tells you to ease up or stop all together. Unfortunately, I was ignoring all the precursors--being totally focused on the quantitative goal. Oh well, live and learn. I just hope I'm finally rising from the trough and working my way to the peak, which hopefully occurs November 23rd.

As mentioned above, we're moving next weekend. No, this wasn't planned. We made a verbal agreement to renew our rental contract for another year. Weeks after the agreement, we hadn't received any paperwork. The day we were going to call and follow-up, we get a letter saying that the renter has terminated the lease and we have 30 days to vacate. This put us in a predicament, because the kids' school starts in 10 days. Tanya scrambled and found a place smaller, older, more expensive, and across town, but in a good school district. As a result, Mia won't be able to go to pre-school because the school she was enrolled in--after a months on the waiting list--is back in our old school district across town. The local preschool at our new house is full. For these factors, we're considering legal actions, but I don't fancy myself a litigious individual--though I've spent more than my fair share in court. We'll see!

So why are we renting? That's the real question you're asking, right? Well, I could give you lots of reasons that would sound legit (i.e. waiting for home prices to finish the devaluation, it doesn't make sense to buy a home with a 30-year note when the job market is so temporary, or while my kids are young and messy, I'll let the renter pay for the home's up-keep). Those sound nice and may be of some benefits though not the actual reason. Frankly, we bare the burden of a failed business. In other words, our credit isn't up to snuff at the moment. When we lived in Boise, we started a business that was too successful--it grew way too fast. That growth overwhelmed us, and we came to a point where we had to choose between doing the business full-time or giving up the business and go back to our previous vocations. It was a hard choice. At the time, the business wasn't providing a positive cash flow from operations, it required significant manual-labor (which was very tight), and was creating a significant strain on our marriage. We decided to close the business, liquidate the assets, and live with the consequences. Risk and reward. In retrospect, it was a good choice because the business was tied to the housing boom--it was a fencing business. Had we quit our jobs and did the fencing business full-time, we'd be in dire straits because the market has tanked.

So, there you go...Paul Harvey has just given you the rest of the story.

No comments: