Monday, August 4, 2008

Transition Week

Well, since I have an unplanned training interruption next weekend (moving) and I'm still getting better, I'm calling this last week and this week "Transition" weeks. Once the move is over, I can begin training in earnest.

Last week started out a bit shaky because I was still feeling the effects of being sick. However, Saturday I decided to push myself and see where I stand fitness-wise. I rode with Silvio and we did 3X15 minute hard efforts up Tramway. I didn't have any expectation; I just wanted to see what I was working with. We climbed up the first time in the big chain ring flying along at about 15 MPH on average up the climb. My HR hit 183 BPM and I was able to stay with Silvio the first 11 minutes of the interval then I backed it off a bit. The second interval was the same and I hit 186 BPM. The final interval I maxed out at 188 BPM. I was happy because I was nearly able to hit my max HR (191).

One pleasant part of the ride was the view. As I was climbing Trawmay, I had a head-on view of the Sandias that are very green because of the exceptional rainfall they've received in the last month. To the south were bison roaming around in the field. It was warm but not too hot. On a couple of occasions as I was climbing, I told myself, "There isn't anywhere else I'd rather be riding right now." This is like my comfort ride...I've probably climbed Tramway more than 100 times. I know every inch of the pavement. Even when I lived in Boise, I could still recall every detail of the road. For some reason, it felt so good to be climbing it again.

After my ride, I went to the gym and jumped on the treadmill and ran 25 minutes at a moderate pace. I felt good too. Afterwards, the family and friends grabbed some Dion sandwiches and had lunch. Afterwards I swam 2,000 meters (that's all I could muster at the time). I spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with the family by the pool. It was good.

On Sunday, I decided to mix it up a bit and do my own indoor duathlon. It was really hot outside, and extreme heat can negate any training gains. I set the TT bike in the trainer, and set my transition area up. The duathlon started with a 15 minute run on the treadmill followed up by a 1 hour TT session (rotating 10 minutes between high-cadence gear work/big-gear strength work). After the 1 hour bike ride, I immediately jumped back on the treadmill for another 15 minutes. I was able to keep the pace at a tempo effort throughout. I'd like to continue and build on this workout increasing both the run duration/intensity. This type of brick workout should help with T2.

In total I worked out 14 hours, with 4 hours of swimming @ 10,000+ yards, 2 hours running @ ~13 miles, 6 hours of bike @ 100 miles, and 2 hours strength/yoga.

Next week I plan on doing the last of the 3 part TT series--that should be a rude awakening. The state TT championships happens 2 weeks from now.

On a final note, I got up this morning at 4:30 AM to go to Masters swim. My body told me "No!". I listened. I'm not sure it's prudent to get up that early.

No comments: