Friday, August 15, 2008

The Pre-Pack Routine

One of the things that I find myself doing every night is packing my stuff (workout clothes/work clothes) for the next day. It's a routine that drives me nuts. It goes with working out early before work. Last night, I packed four bags: 1 for AM swimming, 1 for work clothes, 1 for running clothes at lunch, and the last was my lunch. This task entails ironing my work clothes, digging through the dryer to find my next set of workout clothes, making my lunch, making sure I have everything I need for personal toiletries (i.e. shaving cream, razor, brush, tooth brush, tooth paste). Each detail needs to be considered or the consequences can be time consuming or uncomfortable. For example, I once forgot to pack socks. So, I had to spend the day at work Miami Vice style. This morning I forgot my brush--I guess my fingers worked well enough. you don't even want to know about when I forgot my underwear!

Depending on the next day's workout schedule, I can spend upwards of an hour putting my stuff together. This is a drag! Almost every night, it's the same thing. If you stopped by our house between 8:30-10:00 PM, this is what I'll be doing. I've grown to really dislike packing for the next day. I've heard lots of suggestions as to how to improve this. I have two lockers (one at work/one at the gym); that helps a little bit. Someone once suggested preparing everything Sunday evening. I might give it a try, but spending 2+ hours ironing and organizing clothes just doesn't sound very exciting.

On the other side of this equation is the tremendous amount of dirty laundry I generate. During a given week, I run 3-5 times, ride my bike 3-5 times, and swim 3-5 times. Nearly all of these activities generates additional laundry. This doesn't include work clothes. Oi Vey!

I guess in every pursuit there are embedded costs/activities. Packing and laundry or, to a greater extent, planning and logistics are my plight.

No comments: