Friday, June 27, 2008

Sprinter....I Guess So!

This morning was sprint training with the Masters swim group. We started out doing 10X25s all out. I started last in my lane because I'm the new guy. Right away I swam up the back of the guy in front of me. After this happened a couple of times, I asked if I take his slot; he acquiesed getting tired of having me swimming him a wedgie. Again, I swam up the back of the next person. I moved up again to lead. I started watching the people in the next lane over, and I was passing them as well. The next set was 5 x (4X25, 1X50, and a 200); the coach said do these all out. Same thing, I blew everyone out. Weird thing was, I'd really muscle through this set, and not be tired; however, when the last 100 of the 200 came, I'd be tired and the poeple in my lane would start catching me. To me, this is quite strange, I'm supposed to be an endurance athlete. Oh well, I guess I got a little sprinter in me.

It's looking like I'm going to over-shoot my weekly training goal. So far, I've racked up 13 hours, and I still have Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow I'll do an endurace swim followed up with a 4 hour tempo ride. Sunday will probably be a hill climb day. I've come to the realization that all IronMan bike courses aren't flat; in fact, most have hills and flat Ironman bike courses are the exception.

I was supposed to do some motorpacing today, but the moped driver bailed. We're reset for next week. This will consist of going back-and-forth down Rio Grande where the speed limit is 25MPH. My front wheel will be about 2 inches behind the Vespa's rear wheel. As dangerous as it sounds, this is a great way to increase leg speed in a big gear. It's a hard workout that generally lasts no longer than an hour.

I ran again this morning but stopped after 15 minutes because of leg pain. I have an appointment this Monday with the doc. I'm really frustrated. I know that once my leg heals and I can put in the training, I can really start making significant gains in my run. I think all my times I've achieved to date are a function of will power and minimal form improvements. I know I got more...I'm just not able to harvest it right now. This is really frustrating.

On a final note....this may be a bit premature. But, it looks like my next full ironman, after Arizona, will be in Brazil. This occurs May 29th, 2009--a year after Boise. Passports, Visas, and plane tickets, oh my! I'll keep you posted.

No comments: