Thursday, June 5, 2008

Post Boise Iron Man Reflections/Data


It has been a couple of days since Boise, and I've given myself some time to internalize/analyze the day's results.


Here's the Race Data (Bike Portion):
Average Speed: 22.2 MPH
Average Watts: 307
Average HR: 155
Total Elevation Increase: 2,142 feet
Notes: I had to stop once to use the rest room. This lasted about 1.5 minutes. I started out a bit too hard (this was in response to my perceived slow swim). Towards the end of the bike, I was suffering a bit. At the end of the day, I didn't leave anything on the bike yet left just enough to finish the run. I was happy with my time. I think I need to continue to work to build strength on the bike. I can't believe the top speed was 25 minutes faster than me. Wow!


My T2 was fairly good relative to my first half iron man. I trimed of 45 seconds. My wife videod my T2. There was definitely some time savings to be had still. I made a last minute decision to put on a waist water-bottle holder. During the run, the bottle fell out and broke; this was a waste of time--especially considering the cool temps. I'm projecting I could have saved another minute.

Average Run Pace: 7:39 minute miles
Average HR: 157
Notes: This perhaps is the first run I've done in which I was able drink water from the neutral feedzone cups. I prefer a water bottle, but it worked this time. I went solely with water, 2 gels and a bag of Cliff Shot Blocks. I started out hard, and realized I couldn't maintain the pace so I slowed a bit. I did save a little for the last half-mile and pushed really hard at the end. At the finish line, I was done! I used everything I had and was spent. There were a handful of people who blew past me on the run (who I passed during the ride). I couldn't believe their pace. I just tried to ignore them because if I tried to follow, I would have blown up on mile 10.



Post Race: I've been very sore in my legs. I have a huge scab on the back of my neck and arm pits from wetsuit rub. It's Thursday and I'm still a bit sore. I'm going to take it easy this week--except I do plan on doing the Albuquerque Century on Saturday. This will be a social ride. Suprisingly, I'm pumped and ready to start my next training block. I'm giving myself some time to mentally/physically recover from the early part of the season, but my results in Boise get me excited to keep going. If I can stay injury free for the next few months, I think a 4:45 is attainable at Redman in Oklahoma City. Wish me lucky!


Who Needs A Podium Girl!

2 comments:

Davis said...

I took a bunch of photos of the bicycle leg of the Boise Ironman. You can view the pictures by participant number at www.bslphotography.com/ironman/. They aren't all up yet, so please be patient, there are more to come...Rick Davis

Davis said...

Sorry, wrong link for the pictures. Try this one: www.bslphotography.com/pictures/sports/ironman/