Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mid-Season Slump

After Boise, I've been in my mid-season slump. A couple of days after Boise, I ran in the park on grass and my legs weren't happy. The run only lasted 20 minutes. A few days later (Saturday) I did 70 miles of the Albuquerque Century (I guess I surpassed the metric century). During the whole ride, I kept asking myself why I was riding. I guess once the post-Boise excitement wore off, my body and mind told me it was time to slow it down a bit. That's probably good considering I've been training hard since last October. My Ironman isn't until November, so I think I'm going to give myself some time (not completely shut it down) to recover.

In the interim, I need to sit down and map out my training for the next 6 months. I'm going to add some strength training. I hate weights, so I decided to try some thing new. Monday I went to a BOSU class, which is a core workout class utilizing half of a Swedish (meat) ball. That kicked my butt! It uses a lot of plyometrics and balance--both of which should help my speed.

My calf is still bugging me and it's looking like I need to go to the doctor. This should drag on so long; it's been nearly 2 months now with intermitten runs that I've stayed off of it. It's driving me nuts. Don't they have shots for this kind of thing?

This is the busy time at work, which, timing wise, works out with my training down-time. This Sunday is Father's Day; I hope I get a new lego left calf, so I can start running again!

No comments: