Sunday, May 18, 2008

Santa Fe Century

Today was the annual Santa Fe Century. This is the last event I'll do before Boise, which is only 2 weeks away.

I rode my Tri bike for the century and wanted to see what I could do. I'm really tired right now. I finished in 4:45 with no drafting and lots of climbing and wind. I haven't downloaded my workout but it was hard! I've done the Santa Fe Century four times now with a 2 year hiatus while I lived in Boise. I forgot how much climbing there is on the course. It's really hard to do prolongued climbs in the aero bars. I did the first 56 miles, which contained 80% of the climbing, in 2:30. This is encouraging for Boise!

Added Later:

Check Out the green lines; that's altitude. The Santa Fe Century has 5,250 of elevation gain.

As far as running goes, my calf is too sore and needs more time to recover. I'm guessing I'll probably not run again until the actual Ironman. This isn't going to be pretty, but every time I start running again, it takes 3-4 days for the pain to go away. There's no sense in re-agrevating the injury; I won't progress, in terms of speed, in the 2-week interim. I'm glad the next 2 weeks are taper.

Weeks summary: 16 hours

1.75 hours running/12 miles
6 hours swimming/16,000 yards
8.25 hours bike/152 miles

Next week calls for 10-12 hours, which should be easy with no running.

No comments: