Thursday, May 8, 2008

Recovery Week Inactivity

Recovery week has been good. I took Monday off completely. Tuesday I did yoga for the first time in three weeks. I'm still very inflexible. Tuesday night I did the local criterium race; this is the first week this year.

For those of you not familiar with the criterium bike race, it's generally held on a short 1 kilometer track that may or may not have multiple corners/turns. The course we're using is at the Balloon Fiesta Park is rectangular in shape. They are held over a brief period of time+3 laps. Ours was 20 minutes + 3 laps, which translated to ~13 miles. They're really fast and anaerobic. You spend most, if not all, of your time in the drops strung out chasing wheels or trying to break away from the pack. Some people don't like being in such tight quarters with other riders and they get freaked out. There are more crashes in these types of the races because of the rider proximity and intensity.

I enjoyed it and got a good workout. I really struggled because all my high-end training has been replaced with long, tempo activity. At any rate, this is purely for a workout. I'm beginning to feel like I don't know where I belong anymore though. Not a single rider out there was a triathlete. I would complain about my legs being tired from running, and the response I got was, "why would you run?!" Oh well, I guess having duel citizenship has its perks and down-sides.

Wednesday night I swam for 4,000 yards and did about 1,500 yards tempo. This consisted of 10X100 yards at 1:50 and 10X50 yards at :50.

I'm taking today off, but the inactivity is starting to get to me. Tomorrow, I'll swim endurance, maybe do a pre-race ride on the rollers. Saturday, I'm going to the Galesteo Road Race. It's a small rural town in between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The ride is 65 miles and has lots of wind and about 1,500 feet of climbing--that's a gentle climb for these parts! I'm wavering as to whether I'll do the Cat. 3 race or the Masters race. I'll call it race morning.

My leg is getting better; I'm not planning on running until Sunday. We'll see how it feels. That'll be a week without running. I hope that's enough.

No comments: