Monday, April 28, 2008

Week's Summary

Well this week turned out fairly good. In spite of having something going on with my gut, I was able to put up some pretty good numbers. I bailed on the duathlon because I did such a long workout on Saturday and I didn't feel like getting up at 5:00 AM to drive to Los Alamos. My sleep is starting to be more and more important lately. Besides, I didn't even have this on my schedule, so no loss!

Total hours: 21.5 hours
Swimming: 13,500 yards/5.5 hours--short again of my desired distance, but I'm incorporating tempo work
Run: 40 miles/6.5 hours
Bike: 188 miles/9.5 hours

Sunday I did a brick workout in which I rode big ring climbs until my legs were loaded and heavy, then I transistioned really quickly and did a ~2 hour run in the foothills. I didn't push the run really hard, but I wanted to simulate what my legs would feel like after the bike leg of tri event. It was easy at first to maintain a fast speed, but after a 1/2 hour of running, the quads melted and the pace slowed. It probably didn't help that the run included 2000 feet of elevation gain (see graph below). The temp was perfect last night during the run: not too hot, not too cold. After a while, my legs stopped feeling like they were part of my body and I just carved through the mountain bike trails in the foothills. I was funny to watch the faces of the mountain bikers as you pass them while running.

No comments: