Friday, March 21, 2008

Whirlwind Trip To Utah And Back

Yesterday morning I awoke at 6:45 AM to catch a plane to Salt Lake City. The flight departed at 8:45 AM. Everything went smoothly on the way to the airport--it helps when you have no luggage. Then, when I got to the airport amongst all the other throngs of people departing at the same time, I somehow switched to terminator mode. Somehow, crowds of people pushing and shoving to get to point B triggers this in me. This happened to me during the marathon; this happens at bike races. I think it's a learned behavior. I started dashing up the escalator, through the security checkpoint lines, cutting people off, cutting in front of people, and boxing people out trying to get in a better position. I didn't really realize I was doing it until I noticed some lady get really angry at me. Then it just clicked--I was in terminator mode! That snapped me out of it and I was able to bring my heart rate down. The flight went smoothly. I took a shuttle from the Airport to Provo--the shuttle driver kept talking about selling his sports memorabilia on eBay. I accidentally brought that conversation on.

Once at the dealer, I test drove and inspected the car. It was legit. The paperwork went quickly because we'd taken care of everything in advance. I drove to Cafe Rio for lunch and was on the road back to Albuquerque by 2:00 PM.

I listened to a book on tape I rented at Hastings, which was entertaining. I was able to avoid getting a speeding ticket coming into Moab because the person in front of me got it instead. I pulled into our driveway at 12:00 at night, and I was exhausted.

The car drove great and is really solid. This, hands down, was the best deal we could have gotten. I'd definitely recommend Forrest Motors in Provo, UT, if you're looking to buy a Honda Pilot or Odyssey.

As soon as I got home Tanya grabbed the keys and took off with the car; I slumped off to sleep dreaming of 100's of mile markers as I passed them by.

No comments: