Saturday, March 22, 2008

Some More Firsts

It seems these last few weeks, I keep racking up the firsts. Today I had three. Today, me and few team mates decided to do a ride from Albuquerque to Jemez called the Tunnels ride. This is the first time I've done this ride. It's a beautiful ride once you get past San Ysidro the culminates in a ride through some tunnels carved out of the mountain at the end of a long back country road. I think I'm going to take the family there next week for a pic-nic. The other first was the ride distance. We started at Silvio's house, and the round trip was 135 miles. That's the first time I've done a ride that long in New Mexico. It was interesting because I was really off the first half of the ride, but once we hit mile 83, my legs started feeling really good. I was able to take some long hard pulls and felt comfortable. I was really cognizant of my nutrition and kept myself hydrated and full of carbs. This also confirms something I already know...I'm meant for longer distance events.
Finally, my final first of the day was I went down on my bike early in the ride. Of all the last 8 years road racing, I've never gone down. There's been some really close calls, but I've always kept the rubber side down. Well, that changed today.
I just got done taking a long pull and was drifting to the back of the group. I put my head down for a second and had my hands resting on the top of the bars--not grasping. I ran into a manhole with a sizable black top lip. It knock the wheel out right from under me and I was on the ground faster than you can say "Mashed Potato!" Fortunately, we weren't going very fast at the time. So, I got a good hipper and a bruised palm. My bikes fine; the bar tape is ripped. Other wise it wasn't too bad.
Honestly, I've had "falling on my bike" at the back of my mind for the last couple of weeks. Falling is a fairly common thing for races (i.e. once or twice a year). I thought it odd that I've never gone down over the last 8 years. I knew it was only a matter of time. Well, I got it out of my system; hopefully I'm done for the next 8 years.

No comments: