Monday, March 10, 2008

Evening At The Black Ranch Lodge (B&B)

After the TT I drove to Kingston, NM, with some teamates to stay at the Black Range Lodge, which is bed and breakfast. Kingston is a small speck of a location west of Hillsboro up the hill half way to Emory Pass in the Black Range Mountains. I'm usually not a purveyor of bed and breakfasts--I've had lots of bad experiences with them in the past. But, the location was the closest to race start in Hillsboro, and Kingston is where the race ended.


This is a picture of the front of the B&B. This building was built in the 1880s. There's not much left of the city. It used to be a silver mining town and was one of the biggest in New Mexico. The picture below is the only other building still standing back from the 1880s. This is the Percha Bank building. It's now a museum of sorts.
As I said I'm not really a big fan of B&B's but my team mates talked me into staying. I called and negotiated a $30 futon with an additional $10 for dinner the night before. The $30 included breakfast.


While in Kingston, there were no TVs, no cell phone reception, or no electronic media. Dinner was a great lasagne dinner. The lasagne was perhaps the best I've ever had and had very unique ingrediants: honey and different cheeses. I ate well until I was full and retired to my futon alone in a basement and pondered my stay in Kingston and the race tomorrow.

It turned out to be the right choice staying at the Black Ranch Lodge.

No comments: