Friday, February 8, 2008

Tuesday/Wednesday




Tuesday's here and rest day is over!

I downloaded some Masters swim plans to start adding a bit of structure to my swim training and mix it up a bit. The workouts are all 90 minute middle and long-distance freestyle plans. Oh my gosh! Talk about stepping it up a level! Previously I've been averaging 3,750 yards for 150 lengths. Each of the workouts pushes 5,000 yards with lots of sprints mixed in--I guess it'll make me faster.

Tuesday morning started with a 6:30 AM swim at Midtown Sports & Wellness. This is the first time I've used the clock for swimming since I was a kid. Part of the workout included 5X250 yard intervals with 30 seconds of rest. I guess the best part was that time seemed to go by quickly.

After work, I spent an hour-and-half on the rollers doing speed drills while watching old cycling videos. I enjoy this workout, and it's nice not being outside in the freezing cold.

I'm not sure if my wife was trying to be nice or mean, but she bought a german chocolate cake. After my ride, I ate roughly 1/3 of the cake by myself. At this point I realized there's an inverse relationship between accumulated training hours and eating discipline. During the third week of a training month, I'll eat anything and everything. There have been times in the past that I'd eat the raw cookie dough for those easy-bake chocolate chip cookies. Whole bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips, it didn't matter. And, don't get me started on the Ghiradelli brownies.

Wednesday started early again with 6:30 AM swimming. I was able to knock out another 4,500 yards. It was a fun workout--I suppose for lap swimming.

Today's my son's 8th birthday. My wife surprised him by hanging streamers and balloons in his room while he was sleeping. I sure hope that cake wasn't for his birthday--DOH! His birthday dinner request was the mega Golden Corral in Central and Eubank: Kids!?

I picked the kids up from the gym after work, while Tanya did a class, and went to Barnes & Nobles. I grabbed some books on improving marathon time and another on swimming and hid away in the kids' books reading section. Each of the 4 kids began to grab books and read as well. It was an entertaining way to kill time until Tanya's class was over.

Afterwards, we all met at Golden Corral for dinner. The kids had a good time; I did too inspite on choking on some pot roast. Just as we were about to leave, the Astana cycling team (sans Levi, Contador, Horner) came in to partake in Golden Corral's fine dining establishment. Tanya's only comment was, "What's up with the mullets!" There stands Ekimov, former personal leutentant to Lance Armstrong and 1984 Olympic gold medalist, and she can only bag on his hair. I have to admit, it was pretty bad. I hope the Euro-mullet doesn't pick up traction here in the U.S. I was begging Ethan to ask them which one was Borat. He didn't.



Afterwards, I came home and did my first anerobic workout of 2008. All I can say is ouch! The first time is always the worst. My heart felt like it was coming out of my chest--or, perhaps, it was the Golden Corral! Good Night!

No comments: