Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reaper Time!

For those of you who have not heard of the Reaper ride, it's time you harken to the call of the reaper.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, a group of speed demons leave Kirtland Air Force Base and ride to Tramway and Central where they are met by another group of riders waiting to join the Reaper. The meeting time is 12:00 noon. The ride is open to all and any that so chooses to temp thier fate. Up until this point, the ride is cordial and pleasant. However, once you pass the Believer's Center (a local church on Route 66 heading east towards Tijeras), the Reaper's wrath begins to seperate the men from the boys. The actual ride is brief in duration and distance: to Tijeras and back. But, it's a full day's work finishing with the best!

I decided to do the Reaper today to get some anerobic fitness before the races start. Anerobic work outs are really hard to simulate on a trainer. I haven't done the Reaper yet since returning from Boise. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening.

During the ride, I was able to hang with the big boys up until the underpass, after which I was gassed and relegated to watching the 5 riders slip away. I was yet another victim of the Reaper. Generally, once you've been dropped, you recover and go to the other side of the road and wait for the express train back to town. The way back is much easier because it's all down hill and the group works together to contest the final sprint at the Believer's Center. It's a great opportunity to develop your pack riding skills. I managed to finish with the group and contested the sprint.

In analyzing my heart rate data, I hit a 181HR and averaed a 172 for the ride, which was 35 minutes. My lungs are burning like I just did wind sprints. I've got that good ol' fashion blood taste in my mouth as well. I think this workout met it's mark. Now, I'll need to recover for the race this weekend.

No comments: