Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thursday/Friday

I took Thursday off to give my body a little recovery. I think it helped. Sometimes it's hard to tell. At any rate, after work Tanya and I hung out with the kids then watched a video. It was a low-key day.

Friday, I ran for an hour at lunch (easy six miles); I'm still feeling the pain in my left calf, which makes me think I might have torn something. Injuries like these aren't terribly bad in isolation; however, your body will compensate for the strain by tweaking its gait while running, which will lead to additional injuries. It's sort of a slippery slope. Other times, you can train through the injuries and they, ultimately, get better and go away. It's very judgemental on how to manage. My problem is I'm too motivated to meet my week's goals rather than back off and let my body sort its self out. I've never really dealt with a muscle strain like this before.

From my previous experience, Deciding whether to train or back off usually arises with the onset of a virus or infection. In the earlier years of training, I'd try to train through the infection, which ultimately lead to more complicated sinus infection and a few weeks off the bike rather than a few days. I'd be hopped up on anti-biotics and lose a lot of fitness. Since then, I've learn my lesson. Right now, I'm treading on new ground.

After running, I did a few exercises with weights to improve my strength in my quads and core. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it again--I hate lifting weights. I only do it because everything I read says it helps. Whatever!

Work this week was really low-key because people still were out on vacation. After work, I went to the gym where Tanya was doing her back-to-back kick-boxing and dance classes--you'll have to ask her. I decided to swim for another hour.

Afterwards, Tanya, the kids, and I met my brother-in-law and family at Dions for dinner. Dan and I then went to the $1 movies and watched a movies. It was fun.

When I got home, I spent a few hours trying to register for the PF Changs Rock 'N Roll Marathon in Arizona. Today is the last day to register. I am very superstitios about event registration. I don't like to register until the last minute; I don't want to financially obligate myself until I have a pretty good idea that I can participate. It seems like the sooner you register for an event, the more likely you're going to get sick, have a family emergency, a work crisis, or whatever else that will prohibit your participation. And, you've just wasted your money. I wait until the last minute even if it costs me a little more.

For some reason, the registration website wasn't working. After multiple tries and being up until 12:30 AM, I sent the race organization an email explaining my prediciment. I'll call on Monday and try to get it sorted out. If not, perhaps it's fate that I can't participate.

No comments: