Sunday, January 13, 2008

PF Changs Rock N' Roll Marathon in the Books!

Sorry about the hiatus, I've been out-of-pocket as far as computer access goes. I just got back from the PF Chang's Rock N' Roll Marathon in Phoenix. I finished with a time of 3:26, which I'm happy with considering it's my first marathon. I made some freshman mistakes, but nothing that cost me too much. One thing I learned about a marathon is the strategy is as follows: RUN UNTIL YOUR MUSCLES FAIL, AND RUN SOME MORE!

This was very different than any cycling event I've ever done. In cycling, there are very hard efforts/surges that will drive your heart rate through the roof. If you don't follow, you'll get gapped and game over! In some cases, there are so many surges by multiple team members (who are sacrificing themselves for a team mate), that, unless you're really fit, you get dropped by the peloton. It's generally a race of attrition until the final sprint. For me, the marathon was very different. I basically ran at a reasonable pace and, ultimately, my muscles failed me (at mile 22.5 to be precise). After that, it was do what ever you can to get to the finish the run--you're driven by gut.

It was a good learning experience for me. The marathon had 11,000+ people, and I finished somewhere near 490Th. I was ~100th in my age category--I'm not sure how many there were in my age category. The official results have not been released, so some of this may not be 100% accurate.

I'm going to take a nice epsom salt bath now. It's going to be a few days before I can start training again.

1 comment:

Mike Armstrong said...

Your freeking nuts! I sat on my butt and played video games. Anyway good luck, me and my boss here are keeping an eye on your blog, his is somewhat of a triathelete so its cool to see what you are doing. Keep it up!