Tuesday, January 1, 2008


I'm not sure when it started, but Albuquerque has a tradition called the Resolution Ride. On the first day of the year, people meet at the lobo statue at UNM at 9:00 AM and proceed to ride 100 miles south via Los Lunas and Highway 6. There have been variable "Resolution Rides" but this is the original. I'm not sure why it's called the "Resolution Ride"; perhaps this is one of many New Year's Resolution local cyclists aspire to fulfull.

I have a different take on the ride. Generally, the conditions are so miserable due to gusty wind, cold climes, remote location, and a semi-dangerous course (along I-40 for nearly 30 miles) that the ride truly tests the resolve of each of its participants. Today was no exception.

I left the house at 8:30 AM and it was windy and 17 degrees. The forecasted high of the day was in the low 30's--yipee! By the time I arrived at UNM, my toes were froze, and I was bundled well. At 9:00 AM sharp, there was two of us waiting: Rob Mion and myself. Slowly but surely, 10 more foolish souls trickled in to the Lobo. We left UNM at 9:18 AM and headed south. The sun wasn't nearly radiant enough because the only thing keeping us warm was the heat from our aerobic efforts. I wanted to be at the front and put in a big effort just to warm myself up, which I did. After a few minutes in the front, one of our fellow riders proceeded to give me a tongue lashing for going too hard. Sorry.

As we arrived in Los Lunas, six of the riders turned back leaving only six of us to fend against the elements: Rob Mion, Roy Sturm, Dan Kelley, Mike Slattery, Dave LaPell, and myself. Poor Mike Slattery had just returned from sunny Hawaii the day before to join us in such miserable conditions--now that's hardcore.

After a brief food break in Los Lunas we began the trek along Highway 6. We traded pulls and formed a pace line and ultimately made our way the I-40 and back to Albuquerque.

We rolled up to UNM at 3:30. Along the way, we had 2 flats, and few potty breaks, and another food break at ROute 66 Casino (the gas station, not the slots). Ultimately, our resolve was tested, and we passed with flying colors.

From UNM I rode home and finished the day with 115 miles. I won't say how long it took because the ride wasn't about the time but the miles.

Once at home, I zonked out and rested. I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow; although, I'm glat for the holidays to be over so I can get my diet back in check.

No comments: