Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Monday's Activities - New Year's Eve Day

I slept in a bit Monday morning and rested a bit from my previous week. Tanya was already at the gym, and she took Mia and Ethan with her. I met up with her around 10:30 and lifted weights for a half hour than swam for an hour. My swimming form is starting to come back; I've been doing drills, which have helped. Today, was the first time my back felt well enough to do kick turns. One of the things I've been reading recommends I get comfortable breathing on both sides and goes further and says when lap swimming, I need to breathe every third stroke. I've been doing this, but it has been hard because I'm holding my breath longer, which makes doing kick turns that much harder. Oh well, over time I'll be OK.

Afterwards, I ran around running errands getting ready tomorrow's Resolution Ride--more on this later. After this, I took the kids and headed back to the in-laws for the New Year's Eve festivities. It was about 4:00 PM about when I got there. People trickled in all the was until 9:00 PM. This was a bit frustrating waiting for 5 hours for the party to start. At any rate, we played some games, watched time-delayed festivities at Times Square until midnight MOuntain Time and came home. I was in bed by 1:00 AM.

Did you make any New Year's Resolutions? I have my obvious one: IronMan Florida-among other events. But, I have yet thought about other resolutions for the year. More to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When swimming never hold your breath!! Every time you put your head back into the water, blow the air out and every time you rotate your head to the side, inhale.

Shannon said...

I love regulated breathing during workouts. I have a rhythym for my breathing when I run--inhale for two steps, exhale for four.

Back when I was swimming a lot I got to the point where I would slowly exhale for four strokes, turning my head to the right to inhale after every fourth stroke. I never felt comfortable turning my head to the left. I really feel like the regulated breathing helps me to meditate while I work out. But maybe I'm the only one who cares about such things . . .

I love your blog. It's motivating me to get back into the ultra fitness mindset.