Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Gearing Up For The Weekend


Well I haven't completely committed to the marathon yet, but I'm getting myself geared up for it if I decide to do so.

I've been backing off any impact activities (i.e. longer/Intense runs and weight lifting) to get my legs ready. You can't just stop training though, you need your legs to be supple. It's a balancing act.

This morning before work, I rode the rollers for an hour and did speed drills. I find riding the rollers really helps my knees and ligaments recover from a long run. I kept the intensity down As well.

Tanya had to be at work early this morning, so I had bus duty with the three oldest. It was fairly cold and the bus was running late. I saw them off and went to work. PNM's 2008 budget intensity is starting to peak again. I'm thinking after this week, the budget should be done and we can shift gears to other work tasks we've been putting off in the interim.

After work, I swam 2500 yards at Midtown Sports and Wellness. My stroke is really starting to come back. I did kick turns the entire 100 laps and started to feel a bit of my glide come back. Generally, I start off with 10 laps freestyle, do some sort of freestyle drill for 10 laps and go back to 10 laps freestyle. I follow this iteration until I hit 100 laps. Over the next month, my goal is to string as many laps together without stopping in between until I can, ultimately, swim 100 laps without stopping. For me this will be a milestone; however, this will be a boring task. Lap swimming ad nauseum can be dull, so once I hit this milestone I'll transition to swimming with the Masters.

There are 2 masters groups here in town. One that swims at the Academy natatorium Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for 2 hours. Another that meets at UNM and swims all days of the week (except Sunday) for 1 hour. Both groups start at 5:30 AM. I can see an upside to each group, but the most challenging aspect is getting up at 5:30 AM. My 2 fitness weaknesses are my sleeping and eating habits, both of which will do you in if not tempered. Sleep is very important because this is when your body does most of its recovering. This is why I posted the picture of Shane (my dog) above because he's a perfect role model for sleep. I know some professional endurance athletes that sleep 10 hours a day. Based on my everyday demands, this isn't pragmatic. So, I shoot for 8 hours a night. Realistically, that translates into 7 hours. With this standard, getting up in time for swimming the Masters means being in bed by 9 PM. This will take some discipline.

No comments: